MOUNT DORA -- Vincent Groetzner was a fun-loving 6-year-old who enjoyed soccer and painting when his body temperature suddenly skyrocketed to 108 degrees a year ago. His mother quickly raced him to a hospital emergency room, where he died within minutes.
An autopsy showed that Vincent died of malignant hyperthermia, a rare condition caused by a faulty gene that, in addition to triggering a soaring fever, turns muscles extremely rigid.
Since her son died June 14, 2010, Vincent's mother, Lisa Groetzner, 44, has launched a campaign to educate medical professionals and the public about malignant hyperthermia and what provokes it. She has spoken to University of Central Florida nursing students, visited hospitals and held seminars with paramedics and other emergency officials across Central Florida. Read more.
Article written by Martin E. Comas, Orlando Sentinel
June 23, 2011 ET